August 08, 2008

More Ecuador and Some Photos

Since last time... Got my hair cut for 75p. Went to this nature reserve and a guide showed us this tree which is where you get ayahuasca from. It´s a hallucinogenic that shamans use. We asked where we could get some and were pointed towards a market and bought it from what can only be described as a witch. Still not used it as I am trying to persuade Jamie and Nick that since we´re in South America, we´re better off doing it, if not with a shaman in the jungle, then at least with some local influence. Lonely Planet says that Peruvian people visit shamans to do it and other ´medicines´ for about 60 USD. It´s a 10 hour trip and a horse into the depths of the jungle so pretty intense. Will look into it. Others not so keen.

Went out in Tena (Ecuador) that night. Was very much local places we visited and the club at the end was essentialy a largeish hut on the river bank. And very much full of locals. We could tell this cos we were by far the tallest people in the place and, judging by their reaction, the most attractive.

White water rafting the next was ace. Though the rafting itself was a little tame I thought, it was the guides that made it an awesome day. Jumping out of the boat and swimming through the rapids is much more fun than paddling through. Decided to stay in Tena that night as we liked it so much.

Next day got a bus to Baños again. Went on an awful organised trip to that volcano I got photos of erupting last week. Was at night so you couldn´t see anything.

Charlie got here Tuesday night, with my new card. Her baggage didn´t arrive til the next evening. Was very frustrating though she didn´t seem to mind as much as I would. I´m sure I´d have been shouting at someone, most likely insurance company.

Since she got here we´ve been in Quito. Like I said before, its new town is very tacky and a night out there was not even comparable to that in Tena. Went to some springs which were okay but I´m not so keen on that sort of thing. Had met a couple of girls from Manchester the day before that were mates with Sophie, one of my housemates.

Got a nightbus last night to here, Cuenca, which is just museums and churches so nothing exciting but tomorrow bus to Peru´s apparently amazing beaches and surf and that meeting with a shaman.

Attached a few photos. One´s a typical security guard here with a ridiculously disproportionate weapon who was very pleased with himself when I asked for a photo. Another is a woman selling empeñadas which is what I eat when I´m hungry and no one else is. The view from our hostel in Tena. Quito by night and that volcano.

Girish

No comments: